1. The Virgin Labfest is a two-week theater festival at the Cultural Center of the Philippines in Manila to be held on June 26 to July 7. It will showcase new works by Filipino playwrights to encourage them to produce theatrical pieces for a young and local theatergoing audience. That means that it is the place to be to watch out for up-and-coming writers and theater stars, and that the plays you will watch will definitely transcend boundaries and push envelopes.
2. It caters to a group of die-hard fans who were impressed with the shows produced for the past years. This is the best place to meet people who similarly understand the magic theater can provide.
3. The festival’s artistic director is seasoned theater actor Tuxqs Rutaquio who has achieved semi-celebrity status for his role as Ada in the play Zsa Zsa Zaturnnah: The Musical. He was also one of the first directors whose work was showcased in the festival in 2005. His love for theater and acting knows no bounds. You’re in good hands.
4. They will showcase ten one-act plays. A one-act play is, as the name suggests, a play that occurs only in one act and normally lasts 30 – 60 minutes. For theater newbies (or veterans introducing family and friends to local theater), the Virgin Labfest could be a good stepping stone because of the short length of each individual play and the variety of shows the festival offers.
5. Tickets are so cheap they’re practically giving it away! Entrance is priced at a very reasonable Php300 with festival passes at Php1,200.
The 2013 Virgin Labfest runs June 27-July 8 at the Tanghalang Huseng Batute, CCP, Pasay City. Call the CCP Box Office at 8321125 for tickets.